17 May Interview Prep Guide
Interview Etiquette Summary:
- Arrive 10 minutes early. Never be late (unless it is unavoidable).
- Dress professionally — no wild colors.
- Be friendly & courteous to ALL levels of staff. Companies evaluate how polite you are to everyone.
- Smile! Show energy and enthusiasm! Let your personality shine.
- Be prepared to ask 15-20 different questions to cover yourself for multiple interviewers.
- Be specific with examples of your experience. Yes/no answers are not sufficient.
Preparing for Your Interview:
Read the job description (if available): Next to each responsibility, write down specific examples of accomplishments related to the role from prior experiences (i.e., “Improved our closing process by standardizing our work papers to reduce the closing cycle from 5 days to 3 days”). Be able to discuss roles where you have had similar experience and responsibilities.
Visit the company website. Be sure to ask your recruiter to understand the company’s business and industry. Do a Google search and read recent news articles about the company. If you have any questions, be sure to ask your Recruiter to answer them. Make a list of 10-15 company specific questions. Not having prepared questions portrays a lack of interest in the company to your prospective employer.
Make a list of questions about the position. Every company has a different accounting process, varying financial reports and accounting systems, unique organizational structures, management styles, career paths, and etc. Ask how they process transactions and be sure you understand how you would do your job if you were in that role.